Sunday, November 10, 2019

Half Log Cabin Quilt, Scrappy Style

I have been collecting shirts for a bit.  Men's shirts. Girls shirts.  Orange shirts and plaid shirts. A pair of orange denim pants that belonged to my daughter but no longer fit. But it turns out that I had more imagination than shirts.  And guys are notoriously clingy to their plaid shirts, shabby, ripped and otherwise. I love sewing shirts into quilts.  I use the button bands, and collars, and cuffs, and pockets, and every label I can work in.   Buttons on quilts bring me joy.  But the shirts supply was low. So I dipped into the scrap pile.  And the bought but never used batik strip collection and came up with something I find very pleasing. So the beginning square is from the orange jeans. The backing is cut from a set of flannel plaid sheets that are still good but no longer used.
It feels good to be sewing again.
But there are some other things that made me very pleased.
One.
My son cut me plastic templates in specific sizes from some scrap plastic I had on hand.  The one I am using for this quilt is 15 inches square,  and I bought a suction handle from Amazon that works amazingly well. I have accuracy issues and this helps me keep to a size.


 Two. The bulb on my machine burned out but in my online travels I found this LED light strip designed for under a sewing machine and for people with failing close up eyesight.  I didn't bother replacing the little bulb that burned out.


Three. I found variegated thread to quilt with.  I was SO excited that it was the right colours.


And so I begin.  But that's normal.  Let's see if I can finish it.

Number one. Forty to go.

The pile grows.

No floor space in the house to lay out the pieces properly but all 41 are quilted and ready to sew together. This is the scary part.  Will everything match up?
Binding is cut and pressed
corners are mitered



Here we are, washed and partially dried.  The dryer can't cope with heavier things that are one piece, but it gave it its best shot, and it will finish by air drying. Thought I'd never finish but for once I pushed through and it is done.


And here we are. Washed, dried, delivered, and made up on the bed for which it was intended.
They like it, and it has been cat scanned and approved for use.







No comments:

Post a Comment