Saturday, October 13, 2018

The Latest Rag Stash Buster Quilt

I finished a quilt.  Actually start to finish in about 2 weeks.  Amazing what sewing can get done when your DH goes farming.


 I planned it to use up the multiplicity of fabric scraps of 40+ years of sewing for a family.  Yes, I used up a lot.
The denim squares had been precut.  A couple years ago I had a stack of old jeans to get rid of, so I sliced them open, and standing at the snack bar in the kitchen, ran a bic pen and a couple of sharpies dry cutting them to 6 1/2 inches  (the size of the acrylic square I own).  I piled them up in a drawer and what joy to take out accurately cut denim, ready to go.
One square out of every four patch was backed with a different print, I drew on a star from a template made out of a large margarine lid. and I sewed around it.  Then I carefully cut out each star, leaving a margin to clip and fray, and sewing the little guy on the opposite corner of the four patch, and I was surprised at how quickly that went.
The backs were string quilted to a very thin worn out old sheet cut to 6 1/2 inches, and then I sewed them together back to back.  The clipping took a bit of time.  I actually face timed my daughter and while she worked on a painting I did a lot of the clipping and mercifully I don't even remember the amount of work it was. It was a great visit!
I always cold fluff dry the quilt before I wash it, and then washed it twice.  The amount of lint it produces is horrifying but it looks soooo good.  I am imagining that it will be the cover of choice for one of my grandsons when they visit.

Don't say I didn't warn you...there will be lint. Plan on being around to clean out the lint screen every 15 minutes or so.

1 comment: